Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pie!!! Yummy Pie!

                      This is my entry for the AEG picture perfect pie competition! You can enter  too at  Being  Frugal and Making it Work. The winner gets a $100 Amazon Gift Card, so bust out your apron ladies and gents!



Apple, Walnut and Cranberry Pie! This was my experimental recipe to create the ultimate fall harvest concoction from my pantry. Turned out fabulous and was devoured quite fast between my husband and five children.

Recipe:
4-5 crisp Granny Smith apples, peeled (I didn't but some prefer peeled) cored, and sliced
1 1/2 cup of dried cranberries soaked in apple juice for an hour prior.
1 cup of chopped walnuts
3/4 cup of Organic unbleached sugar
1 pinch of cinnamon
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
And of course, your favorite crust recipe

I put the apples, walnuts, and cranberries in a large bowl and added the Organic sugar. Gently stirred around untill sugar was well incorporated into the mix. I then added the cinnamon and stirred a little more. I then dumped the mix into my prepared crust and pie dish, and sprinkled the brown sugar over the top. Put the top crust on and baked at 350 for 15 minutes with a pie crust protector, then 325 for about an hour to finish it. Turned out scrumptious!!! Perfect for a Thanksgiving pie, harvest party, or holiday dinner!

 Here is the filling before I added the top crust....let me tell you, it smelled soooo good!

 Pre baked



 And Voila!!! Perfecto!

1 comment:

Cheeky Momma said...

Looks delicious! Good luck in the contest!