Saturday, July 2, 2011

Trouble on the Homestead!

Well, it's not actually trouble, just whining, pissing and moaning on my part. I am having a hard time with our new house. You see, our previous house was a one hundred year old Rustic Farmhouse. It had beautiful, creeky old hardwood floors. It had gorgeous characteristic woodwork. It had a great little orchard of Apple, Pear and Plum trees. We put in a new kitchen, which I designed around baking, with modern touches but made to look like the year of the house. I had awesome cream colored cabinets that were sanded to look aged. I collected awesome antiques over the years and finally had my farmhouse all perfect just the way I wanted it.
Our new house is the polar opposite. It is absolutely beautiful, I feel bad complaining, but it is just so not me! It is a Lindel Cedar home, in the prow front style. It is reminiscent of a cozy ski lodge. It has a big river rock fireplace in the living room. It has gorgeous cedar ceilings and walls. It feels like a vacation rental. It is modern. It need no major remodeling (except maybe the kitchen, which no matter how nice a kitchen is, I am not happy with it till I get it to exactly how I want it). It sits on a mountain overlooking the Willapa River.  We have 24 acres of pretty wilderness and forest land. We have an artisanal creek and spring.
The problem is, it lacks the ambiance I want in a home. It screams bear skin rug, trout needlepoint pillows, and deer head wall hanging! It was made for a log bed, and Navaho printed couches.
I am slowly working on unpacking, but have gotten into a slump. It is nearly impossible to put out any of my stuff! How do you decorate a cedar ski lodge looking modern house with a collection of vintage cake stands? How do you decorate a warm toned cabin style home with white Shabby Chic side tables and milk glass vases? And what am I to do with all my vintage French Grainsack pillow covers? Where in the hell am I going to hang my antique glass coffee grinder?  They look horrible here....
I have cried many tears over the last couple of weeks. I am realizing the moving excitement has worn off and I want to go home. I am realizing I want to wring the neck of the woman who now is loving and cooking in my beautiful, perfect, made just for me kitchen! I miss my granite...I miss my creeky floors, I miss my rose garden...I am sure this will pass, however, in the meantime, I need to learn to let go. It's just so hard because the new house doesn't have that mood, feeling, and tone of the old house. It doesn't feel like home....

No comments: