Thursday, March 17, 2011

I have managed to have a baby for FREE!

I realized the other day, that I have managed to have a baby for free! Well, almost. When I was about 8 1/2 months pregnant, I had a family member who knew someone that was getting rid of a bunch of clothes. She got them for me. In it was just about everything needed for the first 3 months at least. There was a ton of 0-3 month clothing, 3-6, and 6-9. The clothes were super cute and in immaculate condition. Some even had the tags still on. There was also swaddle blankets, bathing towels, and tons and tons of socks! I had to buy nothing. I did though however, go and buy a couple cute outfits on clearance because I just couldn't help myself. An aunt, who works at a local thrift shop, happened to come across a bunch of pre-fold cloth diapers that someone dropped off. They had never been worn, and were still in the package. I ordered 6 covers for them online when Econobum had a buy one get one free sale. That came to $30 bucks for 6 covers, and 6 more pre folds. Now, Maybelle is 4 months old, and wears size 18-24 months (yes, she is a chunky monkey). What I did was, when she grew out of the original clothing I was given, I listed it as a large lot on Craigslist. I was able to sell them all for $175. With that, I went to the Carter's outlet near my home, and bought so many new clothes it was crazy! They have awesome prices there and I always shop on the clearance racks as well. I was getting whole outfits for $3.79! I then discovered an adorable high end baby consignment shop in my town. I now take clothing there as she grows out of it and receive store credit, in which I buy her the next size up. It is working beautifully! As for food, diapers, etc. I breastfeed, and it's free. I use the cloth diapers and love not having to always run to the store for disposables. For wipes, I use cloth as well. I made them myself out of flannel squares, and make my own solution. I use 1 tablespoon of baby wash and 1 tablespoon of olive oil for every 2 cups of water. They work way better than store bought wipes, and are much better for the environment. So, I figure with the original $30 for covers, the couple outfits I got in the beginning, and the cost of a yard of flannel (I picked a super cute high end one for $14.95 per yard) I have spent a whopping $60 bucks total! Living off of one income now has tought me to be super consious of my spending and I have learned that you don't really need to spend a bunch anyways.....

No comments: